OMBUDSMAN DECISION CLEARING ARROYOS IN NBN-ZTE CASE NOTHING NEW
28 AUGUST 2009
REFERENCE: JOEY SALGADO
OMBUDSMAN DECISION CLEARING ARROYOS IN NBN-ZTE CASE NOTHING NEW, BUT BINAY HOPES ABALOS AND NERI “WILL SEE THE LIGHT”
Makati Mayor and United Opposition (UNO) president Jejomar C. Binay today said there was nothing new in the decision of the Ombudsman clearing Mrs. Arroyo and her husband of graft in connection with the $329-million NBN-ZTE deal.
But Binay expressed hope that former Election Chair Benjamin Abalos Sr. and Social Security chief Romulo Neri would “finally se the light” and tell all they know about the scandal.
Abalos and Neri, who was former chief of the National Economic Development Authority (NEDA) had been indicted by the Ombudsman for their role in the scuttled deal involving millions in reported kickbacks and pay-offs to ranking government officials.
Binay expressed his sympathies to Abalos and Neri who were made the “fall guys” in the controversy.
“After all they did for the Arroyos, mukhang inilaglag na sila,” he added.
“It’s never too late for Chairman Abalos and Secretary Neri to see the light. They know much, much more than they revealed publicly and I am hoping against hope that they will finally tell the entire story,” he said.
The opposition leader said he never really expected the Ombudsman to pursue the case against the Arroyo couple.
“We had never expected the Ombudsman to pursue this case or any other case against Mrs. Arroyo and her husband,” he said.
The decision clearing the Arroyos, he said “is one more reason why the public believes that the Ombudsman has lost its independence, and has become an instrument for protecting the interest of Mr. And Mrs. Arroyo and for the selective prosecution of their political enemies,” he said.
“Apparently, the Ombudsman sees nothing wrong when Mrs. Arroyo showed undue interest in the NBN-ZTE deal, dropping everything to make an unannounced early morning flight to the ZTE headquarters in China to personally witness the signing of the agreement,” he said.
“There can be no real justice under the present administration. It is a mockery of democracy when even the dispensation of justice is controlled by one person and that is Mrs. Arroyo whose ascent to power is also dubious,” Binay said.
This entry was posted on August 28, 2009 at 8:30 am and is filed under UNO Press Release with tags $329-million NBN-ZTE deal, Election Chair Benjamin Abalos Sr, National Economic Development Authority (NEDA), Social Security chief Romulo Neri. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.